We want to give you the best possible customer experience. One way to achieve that is to get the richest picture we can of who you are by combining the data we have about you. We then use this to offer you products and services that are most likely to interest you.
The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service. Of course, if you wish to change how we use your data, you will find details of how to do this in the "What are your rights over my personal data?" section below.
Remember, if you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide the services you have asked for.
For example, if you have asked us to keep you informed of developments in respect of your claim(s), we cannot do this if you have withdrawn your general consent to hear from us.
Here is how we will use your personal data and why:
- To process any claim(s) regarding a mis-sold financial product that you request us to make on your behalf by using our websites, apps or service. If we do not collect your personal data during this process, we will not be able to manage your claim and comply with our legal or regulatory obligations;
For example, your details will need to be passed to a third party (e.g. a lender) in order to submit the claim(s) on your behalf and we may keep your details for as long as is necessary in all the circumstances, in order to fulfil any contractual obligations, such as pursuing the claim to conclusion and/or settlement.
- To respond to your queries, requests and/or complaints. Handling the information you have sent us enables us to respond effectively. We may also keep a record of this to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout the process. We do this based on our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience;
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We will also monitor your browsing activity with us to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our websites. We will do all of this as part of our legitimate interest.
For example, we may do this by using automated monitoring of IP addresses to identify possible fraudulent logins from unexpected locations.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this based on our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud;
- With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, text, and/or telephone about relevant products and services we offer. Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time;
- To send you relevant, personalised communications by post in relation to updates, services and products. We will do this based on our legitimate business interest. You are free to opt out of hearing from us in relation to new products and services by email, text message and/or post at any time;
- To display the most interesting content to you on our websites or apps, we will use data we hold about you. We do so, based on your consent to receive app notifications and/or for our website to place cookies or similar technology on your device. Learn more about this from our Cookies Policy;
For example, we might offer you recommendations based on any other data you have shared with us.
- To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide to you. We will do this based on our legitimate business interests;
For example, we may record your browser's Session ID to help us understand more when you leave us online feedback about any problems you are having.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement;
For example, if a court order is submitted to share data with law enforcement agencies or a court of law.
- To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services. These messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. We have a legitimate interest to do so as this helps make our products or services more relevant to you;
- To build a rich picture of who you are and what you like, and to inform our business decisions, we may combine data captured from Hidenda, third parties and data from publicly-available lists as we have described in the section 'What Sort of Personal Data do we collect?' We will do this based on our legitimate business interest.
For example, by combining this data, this will help us personalise your experience and decide which information to share with you.
- Sometimes, we will need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (e.g. a lender). Without sharing your personal data in this way, we would be unable to fulfil your request.
We will record your interactions with us e.g. looking at how often you might contact us or what types of contact are made and for what purpose. We do this to create a profile on how you interact with Hidenda and, in turn, that can affect how we engage you. For example, if you contact us regularly by post, this may be the primary means of communicating back to you. We rely on our legitimate interests to undertake this activity.